Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] I guess infinity isn't forever...

2007-10-20 17:01:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] I guess infinity isn't forever...
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 16:37:22 -0400
I recently got asked to create "infinity" backups / archives.  I always chuckle
to myself when people ask for infinity.  Do they really realize how long
forever is or is it just pure CYA?  What I've found is that an anyone who asks
for an "infinity" retention actually means - "Just long enough that its on tape
somewhere until I retire.  After that, the whole place can burn to the ground
for all I care." =)

"Infinity" for me right now is 30 years.  We've got some old reel-to-reel in
"infinity" retention at our data warehouse facility and I haven't the foggiest
what's on it or how to restore it.  If the chuckle-head who made the data can't
figure out how long the data is going to be viable then what chance do I have
25+ years later?!?

Infinity retention is for religious artifacts and national treasures.  We build
museums for these.  Anything else should be quite happy with less than 100
years.

-Jonathan