Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Some info on my experiences with 10GbE

2007-10-18 15:28:41
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Some info on my experiences with 10GbE
From: "Peters, Devon C" <Peters.Devon AT con-way DOT com>
To: <Karl.Rossing AT federated DOT ca>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:09:31 -0700
We've been pretty happy with the T2000's.

The tape library is an IBM 3584, the tape drives are IBM's 4Gb FC LTO-3 drives, there's a dedicated 4Gb HBA for each drive, and everything is connected to 4Gb McData switches.

We used to have IBM's 2Gb FC LTO-3 drives, and with those the peak performance was around 165MB/s per drive.  These 4Gb drives peak at around 265MB/s per drive, though with all 3 tape drives active, we see throughput closer to 220MB/s per drive...I'm guessing we're bottlenecked by the ports on our disk subsystem at the moment, but since performance is more than acceptable we're not looking to tune this any further - at least not until our LTO-4 drives are installed next month ;).

-devon