Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

2007-10-18 12:11:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?
From: "Iverson, Jerald" <Jerald.Iverson AT aiminvestments DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 10:51:51 -0500
> What you must grasp is that it is *impossible* to
> represent/re-create/look up the values of 2^65536 bits in fewer than
> 2^65536 bits--unless you concede that each checksum/hash/fingerprint
> will represent many different values of the original data--any more
than
> you can represent three bits of data with two.

that is why i have turned off all hardware and software compression on
my tape drives.  imagine trying to store more than 400GB of data onto a
single lto3 tape!  they "say" that you can store up to and even more
than 800GB, but i don't believe a word of it.  there is no way 1 nibble
of data can represent 1 byte!  once i have the time to study lzr
compression and understand it, and see whether or not it is
"data-loss-less", then i may turn compression back on.  until then,
tapes are cheap and i'll buy 2.5 times as many as i need.  :-)

thanks,
jerald

p.s.
our de-dupe vtl does the hash and then a bit by bit comparison of the
data block to ensure the data really is the same in order to eliminate
the duplicate block.  i think some of the confusion may be in not
understanding how the de-dupe process works.  once you create a hash for
a block of data, you are storing the hash AND the block of data.  you
are never having to re-create a big block a data from a smaller hash.
the backup stream of data gets re-written from a "string" of 8k blocks,
into a "string" of 160-bit pointers which point to the unique 8k blocks
of data via the hash table.  or something like that...
Confidentiality Note: The information contained in this
message, and any attachments, may contain confidential
and/or privileged material.  It is intended solely for the
person(s) or entity to which it is addressed.  Any review,
retransmission, dissemination, or taking of any action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited.  If you received
material from any computer.