Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backiing up FreeBSD v6.2

2007-10-17 05:50:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backiing up FreeBSD v6.2
From: "Jenner, Steven" <Steven.Jenner AT uk.telstra DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 10:30:35 +0100

Hi,

I have a customer who was running a Redhat Linux server but who has recently changed to a FreeBSD environment running version 6.2; my NetBackup environment is running Enterprise v 5.1MP6.

Checking the relevant compatibility matrix I can see that FreeBSD version 6.0 is covered by v5.1MP6 and my customer believes that this means that FreeBSD v6.2 should work also (their comments are copied below)

‘The version installed is 6.2 which is the latest version. Although this

is not on the compatibility matrix I would imagine it would be backwards

compatible with 6.0 as it is only a minor version with bug fixes etc.’

I have little experience of FreeBSD therefore cannot ascertain how true the statement above is; therefore my question is, can FreeBSD v6.2 be backed up by NetBackup5.1MP6 and if not can it be backed up by any version of NetBackup?

So far I have installed the NetBackup FreeBSD4.5 client software onto the client but I am getting status code 54 errors and I believe it is probably because the applied version of FreeBSD is not covered.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Steve.