Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Mixing block sizes on LTO Media ... Is it bad ?

2007-10-12 07:01:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Mixing block sizes on LTO Media ... Is it bad ?
From: "Bobby Williams" <bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net>
To: "'Wilkinson, Alex'" <alex.wilkinson AT dsto.defence.gov DOT au>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 06:32:40 -0400
You are mixing different statements/procedures together.

The SIZE/NUMBER_DATA_BUFFERS is only done on media servers.  It is for
writing data to tape.  It defines a memory block/region and creates a
collection area for data.  When that collection area is full, it gets set to
the tape drive via the OS driver.  The data collection area does not care
what is in it.

The Block sizes are set at the network level.  On the client side, it
dictates how the network gets the data to the media server.   On the media
server side, you can set NET_BUFFER_SZ to determine how big the collection
unit is (in memory) for storing the network packets.

I have never seen issues with restoring data after tuning a media server.
It may cause issues on older hardware/versions, but I have never seen an
issue with NB4.5 and up on LTO-2 and 3.

As far as a definitive answer on where to find tuning info: It ain't there.
Experience is the best teacher.

Bobby Williams
2205 Peterson Drive
Chattanooga, Tennessee  37421