Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] sso question

2007-10-09 11:27:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] sso question
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:06:16 -0500
On 10/9/07, Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net> wrote:
guys i have master server running sol8 connected to L700.

L700 has 7 drives in it.

Master can see 6 of them through fiber

Med1 can see first 3 drives shared
Med2 can see first 3 drives shared

Med3 just added has access to drives 5,6,7 and can see them fine.

I have just loaded a tape on the master server ( robot control ) and put
a taper into drive 7. When i came to do an unload d7 so i could move the
tape back (m d7 s6) it wouldn't do it. I then realized thats because it
does unloads on rmt paths and i haven't added drive 7 to the master server.

Didnt add for 2 reasons. 1. its recommended to have only 3 drives per
2gb HBA ( which is why it has 6 drives in total ). Plus if i added drive
7 i would need another shared license i guess.

You should probably only *write* to 3 drives per HBA at a time.  Nothing says that you can't control more than that.  Limit the number of drives per storage unit to limit how many you're actually using at any one time.  You can configure every media server to see every drive and then limit how many they can actually use.

Question:- Is there something wrong with my setup then. Should the
master have device paths set up for every drive in the robot.

Not technically the master but actually the robot control host.  After all, it's controlling the robot - if it can't talk to each drive, then there's no reason to expect that it should work.  And yes, you'll need extra tape drive and SSO licenses.

   .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org