Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NetBackup and Domino Lotus Notes

2007-10-05 10:36:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup and Domino Lotus Notes
From: "Boris Kraizman" <sysadminzone AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 10:12:27 -0400
Hi Folks,

I was asked to look at NetBackup add-on client for Domino Lotus Notes. We backup our Domino mail servers using regular NetBackup client agent for Windows, we are currently at NBU 5.1MP5. So, as we don't have any retention policy in place, then mail bags just grow and we add disk space. Now, we want to see if transactional logging can improve situation with backups. I am trying to find any release notes for Netbackup where it says which exactly version of Domino it supports, like this is not enough R6.0.5 and later, as R6.4.x was a major release from IBM, so our messaging team wants to see it exectly supports R6.4.5 and R6.5.5.
Another thing, it looks like we are going to upgrade directly to version 8.0 and skip 7.x. Per our Symantec rep, 8.0 is not supported as add-on advanced database agent even in NetBackup 6.5, and won't be probably until NetBackup 7.0. Maybe somebody from Symantec/Veritas can get back with right info. I understand, we can continue to backup as flat all mail bag files (nsf), and convert our mail servers from LAN based clients into SAN media, that may improve our backups, but what about transactional logging then? I worked before for an IBM shop with NetBackup and Domino Notes, but I used just regular clients to backup mail servers as file servers.

Please help me to find any info. How everybody does the backups for Domino Notes?

Thank you,

Boris Kraizman
UNIX System Analyst