Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup on Linux (RH4) vs. NetBackup on Solari s

2007-10-04 20:06:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup on Linux (RH4) vs. NetBackup on Solari s
From: Dominik Pietrzykowski <dominik_pietrzykowski AT toll.com DOT au>
To: Aleksandr Nepomnyashchiy <anepomn AT gmail DOT com>, veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 09:47:58 +1000
Aleksandr,

Symantec develop Netbackup on Solaris and Windows, all the others are a
port, atleast that's what I've been told. There's a lot of big customers
running Netbackup on Solaris with 1500+ clients and it seems to do OK. I
have not heard of any other platforms running so many clients but someone on
the group may correct me.

I personally have been using Netbackup on Solaris since version 4.5 and have
found no issues with the OS. I do also run windows boxes and have been a
little disappointed in having to do reboots for certain changes and issues
etc.

I also recommend using Solaris 10 as I've found it performs a lot better
(approx 80%) due to the larger shmem allocations etc.

Regards,

Dominik