Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO3 mixed LTO2 drive using LTO2 cartridges with ACSLS

2007-09-26 07:03:54
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO3 mixed LTO2 drive using LTO2 cartridges with ACSLS
From: "Martin Ruslan" <mit.martin AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:40:53 +0700
Dear friends,

I'm using the Storagetek Library, using ACSLS, where the drive is LTO2 and we adding the new LTO3 drives, but we still don't have the LTO3 cartridges.
So, we still use the LTO2 cartridge for using on this LTO2 and 3 drives.
on the DR, we'll use only LTO3 drives (only for restore purposes)
So this LTO2 cartridges will always be use on LTO3 drives.

The problem is, when I want to use the LTO2 cartridges on LTO3 drives, so I have to change the density of the LTO2 tapes right?
So I run this: vmchange -new_mt hcart3 -m dc0273.
Ok, the backup running well, the LTO2 cartridge can be used on LTO3 drives.

But, when we want to add, or eject the cartridges from the Library, and we run the inventory robot on NBU, disaster happen.
I got this error when doing the inventory on NBU side:
Generating list of recommended changes ...Update failed: media ID DC0273 in database has media type 'HCART3', whichdiffers from media ID DC0273 in the robot which is (according to themedia type returned from the robot, adjusted by media type mappings)projected to have a media type of 'HCART2'.

I think, this error comes because the ACSLS comparing his catalog database with the NBU catalog.
Because, when I'm using other environment (without using the ACSLS), there's no problem at all.
Is there any suggestion for this? Waiting for your help guys...

Regards,
Martin.