Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up a SAN

2007-09-25 20:46:51
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backing up a SAN
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Johnson, Eric'" <Eric.Johnson AT mtsallstream DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:28:28 -0500

Hi Eric,

We back up our SAN using standard network-based media servers.  There are options like off-host backups that are fully documented in the NetBackup document set – see the Advanced Client documentation.  The basic concept is that you snapshot the file system, either through the host OS or via the SAN storage frames, and then mount those volumes up on a media server that writes directly to tape.

With NetBackup 6.5, you have the option of a “SAN client” which is essentially a media server client but without tape drivers.   This allows you to access your SAN-based data and write to a SAN-based disk storage unit.  No network traffic is involved except for the catalog data.

               …/Ed

--

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD

Mounds View, MN, USA