Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

2007-09-22 09:58:08
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 08:46:52 -0500
But Curtis, a disk drive by itself isn't very useful either - you'll need to
a controller or two.

And don't forget to factor in the price of the de-duplication appliances or
software.  Those suckers are *NOT* cheap.  An appliance to support 1TB of
compressed data lists out at about $20K.  Unless you get a *lot* of
de-duplication - and not everybody does - that appliance is going to get
killed on price compared to not de-duping it.

It took me only 30 minutes with a de-dupe vendor last week to eliminate
their product from consideration in our environment.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD
Mounds View, MN, USA