Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?

2007-09-21 17:30:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tapeless backup environments?
From: "Austin Murphy" <austin.murphy AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:16:28 -0400
On 9/21/07, Jeff Lightner <jlightner AT water DOT com> wrote:

> Yesterday our director said that he doesn't intend to ever upgrade existing
> STK L700 because eventually we'll go tapeless as that is what the industry
> is doing.
<snip>

Tape has been "dying" for 30 years.
http://searchstoragechannel.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid98_gci1237881,00.html

An article on Slashdot this morning described "the 5 biggest SANs".
It was interesting to see that NASA's SAN "includes 1.1 Pbytes of disk
and 10 Pbytes of tape storage" and the SAN at the San Diego
Supercomputing Center has about "1 Pbyte disk and 18 Pbytes of tape
storage".
http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=134355&WT.svl=news1_1

Austin