Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Odd ball Oracle RMAN backup problem.

2007-09-21 14:29:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Odd ball Oracle RMAN backup problem.
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:06:01 -0400
We see this on occasion for RMAN and also for other client initiated
backups (as opposed to those we initiate from the master server
scheduler).

It appears that what occurs is the client process that started the job
died for whatever reason (sometimes it is a timeout at the client which
what we initially saw on RMAN).   When this occurs the master server
isn't told the job isn't going to complete so shows it "queued".   The
only way we've found to clear this is to bounce the daemons on the
master server.   However, it doesn't actually hurt anything since it
isn't doing anything - it's just an annoyance to see it in the activity
monitor.