Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Need help with F_R_M_S

2007-09-16 19:18:52
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Need help with F_R_M_S
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 19:00:26 -0400
> > Ah I was looking for the equivalent of FORCE_RESTORE_MEDIA_SERVER
> > but only when the exsiting restore media server is busy.
> >
> > This would make a lot of sense, yes?
>
> It makes a ton of sense! And, other data protection
> application vendors
> get it. I was performing a bake-off with another vendor and I
> inadvertently left 5 out of 6 media servers powered off. To
> my surprise, the next morning when I came in, backups had
> transparently failed over to the single, remaining media
> server! That's redundancy for you! This redundancy mechanism
> also applies with storage units. If one storage unit is for
> whatever reason unavailable, it'll fail over to a second,
> third, fourth.....however many redundant paths you have a
> particular storage policy to use.

Steve - addressing your backup anecdote (and forgetting that the
original question was about restore), what is the difference in that
_incredible_ software you describe--capable of using the sole
operational media server, bypassing unavailable storage units, leaping
tall buildings with a single bound--versus using the default "Any
Available" or the simple STUG in NetBackup?  <yawn>