Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] )(*@^%)*(&@# Symantec Support

2007-09-11 11:13:02
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] )(*@^%)*(&@# Symantec Support
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:55:38 -0400
Follow-up

A few hours after I posted this I got a call from someone who works in
Symantec Tech Support QA who is trying to revamp their support.
Apparently my little rant got passed around.  I explained a few issues
I've had and he seemed very receptive.

1) I explained that there is nothing worse than having the support tech
assume your issue is resolved and closing your case without any consent.
To this I added that Symantec should probably look into automating this.
Redhat has a great tech support website.  After the tech responds, they
put the ticket into "waiting on customer."  At any point in time you can
login and add comments / results etc.. And switch the ticket back to
"waiting on technician."  If the ticket goes stale, you get little
reminder emails, "Your ticket has not been updated in 7 days, we will
close it in 5 days" etc..  I'm sure the technicians have much better
things to do then to ask "is your problem resolved now?" but its 100%
necessary.

2) I further explained that there is nothing worse than having to call
in and open a ticket.  You call, sometimes get put on hold forever and
then open your ticket.  I explained that very rarely do I get called
back within the 8 hours I'm supposed to, and that when I open a ticket
less than Super-Duper-DataCenter-On-Fire Critical that I'm lucky if I
get a call back within 8 days.  Once again, some sort of automated
system where I could login and post updates to my own ticket and/or
figure out who has my case assigned would be nice.  I've tried using
their auto support system where I can open my own tickets, and it won't
let me open tickets for technical issues.  Only licensing related stuff.
I'm not exactly sure how to open a ticket saying I can't open tickets.

3) I also tried to explain (not very well I think) how frustrating it is
to call into tech support, looking to speak to someone who knows what
they are talking about a not get it.  Sometimes you call in and talk to
a guru, well worth the effort.  Other times, you get someone semi
confident who wants some log files and helps you with your issues.
Other times, you talk to a person who barely understands the concepts
and who requires tons of log files and who will always "get back to
you."

Anyhow, it was a nice 10 minute chat on the issues.  The tech on my case
opened a new ticket and is now working the issue with me.

-Jonathan