Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape encryption

2007-09-07 08:36:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape encryption
From: "Weber, Philip" <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 13:15:21 +0100
Anybody any experience of Spectralogic's library-based encryption?  We are about to start out no implementing this - basically the encryption, and optionally compression, is carried out in the fibre cards in the library.  We will be using LTO2 and LTO3 drives.

I have some concerns around impact on performance and media usage especially with having to move the compression from the tape drives to the library, and 101 questions for the supplier around key management processes & procedures.

Doesn't seem as good as the Decru option, for one thing Decru as I understand it is NetBackup-aware; I don't think Spectralogic is, so we have to partition the library if we don't want to encrypt everything.

regards, Phil

Phil Weber
Storage Technical Services - Senior UNIX Technologist
Business Technology

Phone: 01384 26 4136
Egg Banking plc