Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape encryption

2007-09-05 17:17:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tape encryption
From: "Austin Murphy" <austin.murphy AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Cruice, Daniel (US - Glen Mills)" <dcruice AT deloitte DOT com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 16:59:14 -0400
I don't know what you mean by tape degradation, but software
encryption does have a significant effect.

If you use the NetBackup encryption option, your tape drives will not
compress the encrypted data.  max speed of the backup will be limited
by the CPU speed, not IO speed.  You can also use the NetBackup
compression option, but that slows the whole operation down even more.
a lot more.

If you use a Decru device or drive level compression, it will do
compression at the same time.

In either situation, key management is a big deal.

Austin