Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Reducing Netbackup reserved ports on the master server

2007-09-05 10:13:49
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Reducing Netbackup reserved ports on the master server
From: "Steven L. Sesar" <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
To: blaine_robison AT yahoo DOT com
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:53:59 -0400
Although be careful: there is/was a bug (feature?) in NBU which may prevent you from performing synthetic full backups across a firewall. The firewalled client makes a call back to the master server on a random port. This wasn't documented when we originally ran into this problem. Not sure if it's been fixed yet.

--Steve

Blaine Robison wrote:
Why not use vnetd. If it is 6.0 or above a 6.0 client and server use port 13724
( vnetd ) to communicate. In 5.1 you have to configure it.

--- Anders Thome <anders.thome AT ementor DOT no> wrote:

Hi!

Anyone know what the impact of reducing the number of reserved ports on
at netbackup master server is?

The Default is 512-1023..... If we reduce it to ie. 512-600.... Will
that mean that we get lesser bandwidth for clients? This customer has
about 60 NBU clients.

The reason for this question is that this is going thru a firewall and
the customer  wants as few ports open as possible.

Regards

Anders Thome

Blaine Robison
Solaris Ceritfied System Administrator
Solaris Certified Network Administrator
Veritas Certified Professional
972-853-2459
214-578-5391

===================================

   Steven L. Sesar
   Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
   UNIX Application Services R101
   The MITRE Corporation
   202 Burlington Road - MS K101
   Bedford, MA 01730