Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5 VTL direct to tape

2007-08-31 13:12:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup 6.5 VTL direct to tape
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Clooney, David" <david.clooney AT bankofamerica DOT com>, "Tim Hoke" <thoke AT northpeak DOT org>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:57:51 -0400
>After reading below could you clarify for me, is there no way that the
>vtl's can duplicate between each other(disk) and still somehow create
>NBU catalog entries. i.e duplicating outside of NBU but still createing
>NBU catalog entries ?

Not yet.  However, you can do something similar.  When you replicate VTL
A to VTL B, it's bar codes and everything will be the same.  I believe
(although have not tested) that you can then connect that other VTL to a
media server known by the master server, and have NBU think that the
other media server is connected to the same library. That would then
allow you to use that other library as a source for duplications to
tape.

If that all works, then you could use de-dupe to replicate to another
site, then vault (or this new NDMP direct copy feature) to copy those
tapes to "real" tape as your risk mitigation copy in case you ever had
an issue with de-dupe.  BTW, duping it via NBU on the other side
validates the whole de-dupe -> replicate -> re-dupe -> tape process, as
NBU will check CRCs and such to verify the integrity of the data as it's
copying it.