Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Windows File Server Backups - Too Much Data?

2007-08-23 09:05:09
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Windows File Server Backups - Too Much Data?
From: "Brooks, Jason" <brooksje AT longwood DOT edu>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:34:26 -0400
We have one primary file server here that stores close to 200GB of files,
divided between two disks.  One disk, in particular, is giving me fits.

The backup policy runs a full on the weekend, a Differential Incremental on
weekdays.  The backup runs across multiple streams and uses VSP.  Each
night, the D: drive is backed up; it's one of the file store disks.  And
this morning, it reported 80.5GB backed up.  The drive has a current used
space occupying 89.5 GB.  Realistically, it is highly unlikely that 90% of
the files on that disk change daily.

We've looked through this before, and suspected our live Defrag services
triggering this.  But since it's local to one disk, we're not sure why.

Suggestions?  Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,
Jason

Jason Brooks
Computer Systems Engineer