Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Storage Unit Recommendations

2007-08-22 11:38:26
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Storage Unit Recommendations
From: Chris Freemantle <chris AT fil.ion.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: BrHesseling AT amig DOT com
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:16:58 +0100
Is you backup speed limited by the drives, or by the speed of the
clients and or network?

I don't know what drives you have, but using a very simplistic view,
your backup of 14TB in 2 1/2 days "only" averages out to 68MB/sec, or 17
MB/sec spread evenly over 4 drives. Obviously it won't be spread evenly
either in time or drives, but we can do a similar sized full backup in a
similar time using one LTO-3 drive. The killer is the incrementals. Data
transfer rate for the incrementals are really quite poor, down to about
2MB/sec for some clients, in contrast to to the fulls where they are
limited by their 100Mb network connection.

best

--

Chris Freemantle
Data Manager