Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VERITAS backup for Solaris zones

2007-08-20 01:13:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VERITAS backup for Solaris zones
From: "Weber, Philip" <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>
To: "Mike Day" <mike.day AT inovis DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 05:53:59 +0100
We install the NetBackup client in the global and local zones, i.e. we back up the local zones locally as they will have the knowledge of their application/DB status.  We don't use loopback filesystems in the local zones for our data filesystems, we either use devices exported from the global to local zones, or global filesystems mounted directly into local zone.  Use of loopback filesystems may be causing your write protect errors?

We use a bpstart_notify script to check for duplicate filesystems between the global and local zones, and alert if any are found that aren't in one or other exclude list.  This script also, when it runs in the global zone, dumps out the zone configs to a flat file for backup as part of the global zone backup.  Restore of whole server or zones should be possible using the zone config dumps, and local zone backups.

All this seems a bit clunky but is the best way I've found for us, so far.

cheesr, Phil