Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Exchange off-host backup options

2007-08-15 07:22:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Exchange off-host backup options
From: "Shekel, Tal" <Tal.Shekel AT colt DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:59:57 +0100

Hi Guys

Anyone done any exchange off-host backups?

I am looking for some information regarding Netbackup options for Microsoft exchange.
I have been doing some investigating in what options we have when using the netbackup advanced client with the netbackup Microsoft exchange agent - specifically for performing an off-host backup

It seems we can only use Storage foundation's Flashsnap feature to mount the exchange db on another netbackup client (not a windows media server)

I want to know if I have any other options or if this is all we can do from a netbackup level while still performing an exchange backup (hence using the ms exchange api)

We are using EMC storage so the option to use timefinder with the exchange option is there but I am concerned there could be issue (as the mapi is not used as in netbackup) e.g. mailbox backups or alternate server recoveries etc

Regards
Tal

The message is intended for the named addressee only and may not be disclosed to or used by anyone else, nor may it be copied in any way.

The contents of this message and its attachments are confidential and may also be subject to legal privilege. If you are not the named addressee and/or have received this message in error, please advise us by e-mailing security AT colt DOT net and delete the message and any attachments without retaining any copies.

Internet communications are not secure and COLT does not accept responsibility for this message, its contents nor responsibility for any viruses.

No contracts can be created or varied on behalf of COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or affiliates ("COLT") and any other party by email Communications unless expressly agreed in writing with such other party.

Please note that incoming emails will be automatically scanned to eliminate potential viruses and unsolicited promotional emails. For more information refer to www.colt.net or contact us on +44(0)20 7390 3900.