Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Strange Netbackup/Library Behavior

2007-08-07 13:22:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Strange Netbackup/Library Behavior
From: dbwallis <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:01:45 -0700
I'm having a problem with my Netbackup system that's causing some jobs to fail,
and I don't understand what's going on. Here's the basic sequence of events:

        Backup window arrives

        2 policies fire off, policy A loads 4 volumes, policy B loads 2 (6
drives total), both have additional jobs queued

        some jobs complete for both policies.... "A" now has 2 active jobs, "B"
has 1

        none of the volumes that were mounted for the completed jobs have have
been unmounted and returned to the library

        a queued job for policy B becomes active and tries to mount a volume

        all tape drives still have tapes loaded, eventually the mount request
times out with error code 98

Why doesn't Netbackup unmount the tapes for completed backups and free up the
tape drive?