Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Hardware replacement on Solaris Master

2007-08-07 10:53:13
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Hardware replacement on Solaris Master
From: bobbyrjw AT comcast DOT net
To: "Klebba, Don" <DonKlebba AT quickenloans DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 14:27:02 +0000
Yes.

Have all of your SAN zoning done on the replacement server before the switch over.  May save tons of time later.

Make sure the new master has host/DNS entries to the media servers and clients.

Stop all NB processes in the environment that the master controls.  If you have your images database on a SAN drive, the switch is very easy.  Just unmount the file system, mount the file system on the new master, bring the new master up as the old master name WITHOUT letting the scheduler start.  Configure your tapes/library control paths.  Test the robot/drives with robtest.  Then you are good to go.

I have done this several times.  Not a hard task provided you do all of the connectivity on the new master before you start the switch over.

Bobby

From: "Klebba, Don" <DonKlebba AT quickenloans DOT com>

Were Running NBU 5.1 MP4. We?re looking at replacing the hardware that our Solaris master server is running on. I was wondering

What is the safest way to do this? Can I just copy the /veritas directory from the old server to the new server, change the name on the new

Server to the name of the old server and be good to go? I realize I?ll still need to recreate the robot and drives, but will the catalog be up to date?

Don Klebba
Quicken Loans
Storage Management Team
DonKlebba AT quickenloans DOT com