Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Full Oracle Recovery - NetBackup 6.0 MP4 on Windows - Oracle 8.1.7 on UNIX

2007-08-02 16:05:02
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Full Oracle Recovery - NetBackup 6.0 MP4 on Windows - Oracle 8.1.7 on UNIX
From: Wayne T Smith <wts AT maine DOT edu>
To: Mike Kiles <mikekiles AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 14:28:21 -0400
A few points for note or discussion ...

* The "shutdown immediate" and "startup mount" (or even "startup
nomount") have certain requirements.  Depending on what you are trying
to test (what you have lost), your test may or may not be successful.

* Since you don't have a recovery catalog, RMAN will be getting its
information from one of your controlfiles.  Your restore cannot proceed
without that controlfile information.

* The "resetlogs" is not necessary if you are able to recover to present
time.  If you can't/don't do a complete recovery to present time, then
you now have a new DB in which the old logs are no longer valid.  Make
sure to do a new full backup immediately, as the history of the old logs
is no longer available (or valid) in the controlfiles.

Using a recovery catalog gives you a few more options along with another
copy of your information critical to recovery.

cheers, wayne