Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restore Testing Help

2007-07-31 03:24:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restore Testing Help
From: slanteyes <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 00:05:02 -0700
I have to start testing my O.S. level backups "c drive \systems state" for all
my servers on the network and I have some questions.

This will all be timed
What I am going to to is get a set of hardware for each version of a server
backup that I have,

the servers will then be loaded with a O.S., the client software will be
installed.
Then i will attempt to restore the image to the new machine and see if it boots
up

What precautions or steps should I take so I dont take out the original server
other then doing this on a private lab network.

Other things to consider
I have no down time on the operational network,,so i cannot take down the real
server.
I have no lab envirenment

sorry if this is hard to understand my previous backup guys never tested any
restores and the bosses want to know how long it will take to bring back a
server from the dead and if they will work.