Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Has anyone done benchmarking of any sort with..

2007-07-27 09:10:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Has anyone done benchmarking of any sort with..
From: "Kevin Whittaker" <Kevin.Whittaker AT syniverse DOT com>
To: "Justin Piszcz" <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:52:30 -0400
Ah... Yes I see where you are going.... But my way will just put the
image on the tape, no multiplexing at all.  I have a Virtual Tape
Library, and I am in the process of creating 5 robots with 20 drives
each.

To avoid multiplexing you have to dedicated a drive to each channel, and
that is what setting the MPX=1 does.

When you are limited on tape drive resources.... You can not do this.  I
used to just have my L700 with 11 9940B drives, and could have never
considered this with the fact that I backup over 35 databases.  But now,
with the VTL I can configure as many drives as I want to configure.

So to answer the question, un multiplexing will commit 1 drive to each
channel.  You can not multiplex different backups onto the same drive at
the same time.

Kevin