Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Maximum number of policies

2007-07-23 19:29:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Maximum number of policies
From: <briandiven AT northwesternmutual DOT com>
To: <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 18:13:56 -0500
Not yet ... We split our prod & test environment in half and are running
the test environment under 6.0 MP4 planning for a production upgrade on
8/11 and back to a single master.  We copied all 4,000+ policies over so
that it will have to process them all. NBPEM takes about 20 minutes to
sort it all out when we first start NBU, but after that everything
starts right on the minute.  Under 5.1 there was always a 30-40 minute
delay, so if we wanted something to start at 10 PM, we'd schedule it for
9:30 PM.

The other thing that was nice about this many policies is that we have
some servers with a lot of databases on them, and firing them all up at
once would cause timeouts (status 54's) due to too many open
connections.  We have a script that runs daily that automatically adds
new policies when a database is created.  We also have a stagger script
that will adjust the start time of the database backups so they don't
all fire at once.