Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Oracle 8 Backup - NBU6.0 MP4

2007-07-23 02:05:59
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Oracle 8 Backup - NBU6.0 MP4
From: Wayne T Smith <wts AT maine DOT edu>
To: List Veritas List <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:46:00 -0400
I'd add a 4th possibility ... RMAN backup to disk which is then (NBU
user) backed up.  Agent not required. (I'd much rather have the NBU
Agent, but it may be cost prohibitive).  I have a couple of Oracle 8 DBs
backed up this way.

Also, someone (I think in this thread) mentioned you needed an Oracle
repository to use RMAN.  Not true ... Oracle will maintain the data in
the control files if you don't use a repository (the "nocatalog"
parameter on the RMAN command).

RMAN is your friend.  In my limited experience, you are much more likely
to have a restorable backup if you used RMAN than any other method
(unless you actually test restores).  Like it or not, if you're being
asked to protect the DB, you're the/a DBA.  RMAN may simplify the backup
process, in addition to, as Curtis explains, the (shudder) restore process.

Finally, consider creating a test DB so you can build and test your
backup and restore without impacting or accidentally impacting your
production.

cheers, wayne