Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup very slow

2007-07-19 08:53:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup very slow
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "nizar motasim" <nizar17_m AT hotmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 08:30:25 -0400

The most common reasons I’ve seen for slow backups:

1)       Networking – If you’re using 100BaseT make sure the card in the HP server AND the associated switch port are hard set to 100 MB / Full Duplex – They do NOT handle autonegotiate well at all.

2)       Make sure you’re backing up where you think you are.  I’ve seen slowness when I expected one media server to handle a backup/restore and on looking into it (usually on restores) found I’d not done the necessary to insure it was using the correct media server so the backup was going over the network to the from one media server to another and then via fibre to the library.  (Most of our big DB servers are media servers.)