Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Library changed

2007-07-18 18:30:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Library changed
From: "Johnson, Eric" <Eric.Johnson AT mtsallstream DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:36:36 -0400
Hello,

Our current libraries (a Sun L25 and a Sun L700), are configured so that
they do NOT show the Media Type suffix when NetBackup 5.1MP6 does an
inventory. So a tape with a physical label of "AB0123L2" shows as
"AB0123" and no NetBackup media ID generation rules are required.

In a DR situation, we restore everything to a different server and tape
library (a StorageTek C4) and then physically move the backup tapes into
it. This library doesn't seem to have the ability to mask the media type
when reporting the inventory to NetBackup, all it can do is swap the
position of the media type so that it is a prefix instead of a suffix.

Even after configuring a media ID generation rule (6 characters,
1:2:3:4:5:6) in NetBackup to provide the correct media ID, NetBackup
still knows that the physical barcode is different and assumes it's a
different/new tape. This is what happens when attempting an inventory:

root@server # /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmupdate -rt tld -rn 0
Generating list of recommended changes ...

Proposed Change(s) to Update the Volume Configuration
Logically add new media AB0123 (barcode AB0123L2) to robot slot 1.
Updating volume configuration ...

Processing new media added to the robotic library by logically
adding media with new media IDs as follows...
        Media ID        Slot

Update failed: could not add new media ID 'AB0123' into slot 1
Insert media failed:
media ID not unique in database (34)

Is there any way around this situation so that we can restore from these
tapes?

Thanks,

Eric Johnson
Systems Analyst