Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows flash-backup experiences (again)

2007-07-11 11:03:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows flash-backup experiences (again)
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Leidy, Jason D'" <Leidy.Jason AT con-way DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:50:32 -0500
Your approach has some really ugly consequences.  First, you need to know
which host actually hosted the data on the day that you're restoring from.
If your recovery was from a backup taken 6 months ago, was the data on the a
node, b node, c node, or d node?  Secondly, the day the disk fails over from
one to another, you will trigger a full backup since NetBackup will not know
that it's the same disk - it simply sees a new disk on a new host.  To make
matters worse, you probably had something bad happen to the first node to
make the disk fail over in the first place - you now aggravate that by
putting extra stress on the remaining node(s) doing full backups.

If you have large clusters - and we have >100 luns with >20TB of data on a
single cluster, you'll see that your approach isn't scalable.

Welcome to NetBackup!  :-)

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA