Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Changing Domains for Master and Media Server

2007-07-11 10:27:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Changing Domains for Master and Media Server
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Conner, Mike'" <MConner AT imb DOT org>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:11:33 -0500

I think we’re getting confused by the term “domain” since they mean different things within Active Directory than they do within NetBackup.

NetBackup doesn’t care Activate Directory domains – it typically runs as local user system and does not authenticate to AD at all.

If your DNS domain changes, you’re in a world of hurt.  Changing the host name of the master server is not supported.  If you’re at NetBackup 6.0, changing media servers becomes much easier but it’s not trivial in 5.1 since the media server owns the tapes – you can’t just drop a server out and add a new one.  Each client also has an entry for both the master and media servers so if those change, you’ll need to visit every client (both Windows and non-Windows).

You need to be clear on what changes you want to do – do you want to change your AD domain, or your DNS domain?  If the latter, you’ve got a lot of work to do.  If the former, I don’t think much needs to be done.

               …/Ed

--

Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA

mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org