Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Oracle 8 Backup - NBU6.0 MP4

2007-07-09 14:56:54
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Oracle 8 Backup - NBU6.0 MP4
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>, "Mike Kiles" <mikekiles AT yahoo DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 14:41:00 -0400
Yeah, I think we're all saying the same thing.  I'll just comment on a
couple of your comments about hot backups.

1. I'll say I'm a fan of RMAN.  The value of it significantly outweighs
it's cost.  True incremental backups (10g+) and two-command
restore/recover are enough.  But RMAN has come a long way.  RMAN is 8 is
nowhere near as good as it is in 9, and even farther from RMAN in 10g.

2. Recovering from hot backups requires a single command "recover
database."  All you need is for the archivelogs that span the time of
the backup to be in the right place, or tell Oracle where they are.
It's the same command that's used to roll last night's cold backup
forward to the point of failure.  With a cold backup it's optional; with
a hot backup it's required.  If you don't want to roll to current point
in time, you have to add an "until" statement, like "until cancel" or
"until <time>."  It's really not that big of a deal.

3. Under normal conditions, the control file's got nothing to do with
the difficulty of recovering from a hot backup.  The control file simply
must be more recent than the backup, but that's the same with a cold
backup.  Now, if you lost ALL control files (something that should never
happen if you're multiplexing/mirroring them) then yes, you'd have to do
another step if you're recovering from a hot backup.

4. The performance difference (and space difference) while in backup
mode is negligible.  It's probably one of the most misquoted and
misunderstood things in Oracle.  On the times I've measure it, the
difference was less than 3%, and that was only under extreme load.

I hope this helps our mutual friend. ;)

---
W. Curtis Preston
Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com
VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies