Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Oracle 8 Backup - NBU6.0 MP4

2007-07-09 10:01:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Oracle 8 Backup - NBU6.0 MP4
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Mike Kiles" <mikekiles AT yahoo DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 09:39:53 -0400
If you aren't going to set up RMAN you need to do backups of the
filesystem(s) or raw device(s) where the dataspaces are defined.   The
best way to do this is with the database completely down.   This is
called a "cold backup".  You can also do a "hot backup" by putting the
database in "hot backup" mode but that requires more effort to get going
after restore.  How large is your DB?  For really large ones having it
down long enough for a cold backup or even in hot backup mode isn't
really a good thing.   Most shops with really large DBs do a BCV/snap of
the database then do the backup to tape from the that BCV/snap copy
after splitting and restarting the primary DB.

RMAN requires a separate Oracle repository.  Do you not have Oracle DBAs
to deal with that part of it?