Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] VTL with NDMP

2007-07-03 12:58:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] VTL with NDMP
From: Kenny <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:18:23 -0700
I am doing some research to see if a VTL will help my NDMP performance.

Currently I backup my Net App environment over the LAN. I am looking to improve
backup and restore performance.

I have a LTO-3 Tape library that can be fiber attached to the Net App filer. My
concern is that the Net App filer will not be able to stream to the tape drives
and I will kill my performance since the tape will have to do lots of
re-positioning and start and stop.

I was thinking a VTL would be able to match the speed of the net app box  thus
the performance would be optimized.

Questions:

I have newer and older Net App boxes, assuming a 2GB san, what performance can
I expect using NDMP?

Do you see an advantage using VTL in place of multiple LTO-3 drives?

How many streams are possible (Using NBU 6.x)? Do the number of streams help in
a VTL environment? how about a tape environment?

Any recommendations on performance tuning with NBU 6 and NDMP?

Thanks in advance!

Paul Kenny