Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] [ORACLE] Backing up the "Control File" ...

2007-06-25 13:42:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] [ORACLE] Backing up the "Control File" ...
From: Wayne T Smith <wts AT maine DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:02:10 -0400
OK, I'll bite.

Yes, it is very important to have a control file backup!

I recommend you make the RMAN setting for control file auto-backup
("CONFIGURE CONTROLFILE AUTOBACKUP ON;").  Then, your control file is
automatically backed up with the DB, and if you lose your control file
(or repository), it's a simple matter to "RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM
AUTOBACKUP;".

However, you can still request explicit control file backup as you have
done.

As Steve suggested, view your RMAN log to see what happened.  Also, if
the control file backup succeeded, there will be an entry in the DB
alert log (at least there is with control file auto-backup on).  Also,
use the RMAN "LIST" command to see items backed up.

Have you turned "backup optimization" on?  Doing so may cause RMAN to
skip objects if they haven't changed since last backup.

cheers, wayne