Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] [ORACLE] Policy Naming ... Best Practices ?

2007-06-14 16:38:46
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] [ORACLE] Policy Naming ... Best Practices ?
From: "Steven L. Sesar" <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
To: Jeff Lightner <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:18:42 -0400
Jeff Lightner wrote:
You're incorrect.  NBU only reports what it knows.

That's my point - NBU doesn't know about it and I contend that it should. Commvault does.
If you kick off
mssql backup it will tell you what it did when it got that far but not
what happened afterwards.
I haven't noticed that behavior, but then again, I'm a UNIX guy. OK, I stand corrected. But again, Commvault does.
Similarly - NetBackup DOES show you what
happened to the tape jobs it was told to kick off by RMAN - it simply
can't tell you end to end.

Again, exactly my point - I think that a backup product should accurately and completely report every aspect/component of a backup job.

The job started BEFORE it got to NBU and
ended AFTER it left NBU.

Not true. NBU kicks off the script which builds/executes the RMAN code.

There has been more than one occasion where
I've seen RMAN fail with a status 6 even though the NBU portion of the
job ran fine.   It always had to do with configuration errors in RMAN.
My analogy was about this.

Certainly if BillyBob in fact gives me the $10,000 NOT in a sealed
envelope I can report that as a "fact".  However, I can not prove a
negative (i.e. that he DIDN'T give me the money.  I wouldn't even know
to state that he didn't unless someone asked me (or looked at my
"activity monitor" to see there was no information regarding it at all).
Restated "information" can help "prove" a point but absence of
information can not "prove" the opposite point.  The best one can say is
"I have no information about this."

I just went this same scenario regarding an Oracle stored procedure and
a script that were supposed to be sending email via the system's
sendmail.  I'm responsible for the sendmail piece (and the next server
which is another sendmail relay) but not for the script or the stored
procedure or Oracle.  User's weren't getting emails.   The best I could
do is show that sendmail never got them which to me implied they were
never sent to sendmail.   However, it might have been that sendmail was
rejecting them without logging them for some reason.   I told them that
my strong suspicion owing to the lack of any mention in sendmail log
regarding this was that they were never being sent to sendmail in the
first place.  On pushing back and asking them to show me a log on their
end that indicated it was going to sendmail they couldn't do it.  What
they DID finally find was that there is a known issue with Oracle_SMTP
whereby it will only do 15 connections and then error out.  It had been
doing this but they hadn't noted it until I did the push back.  Once
they found the known issue and the recommended work around the emails
started showing up in sendmail logs because they finally got there.

Not a great analogy. A better analogy would be, "I'll be responsible for everyone's stored procedures and scripts, except for Billy Bob's".

All of this means that it is certain there IS positive information you
can gain from NetBackup when things work the way they should but it will
still only be NBU's portion of the job and not RMAN's.

So to reiterate - your end to end solution for the Oracle backup is
actually RMAN and NOT NetBackup and that is why you have to rely on RMAN
(an Oracle Product) to tell you what IT did including what status it got
from NetBackup when NBU did its PORTION of the job.

Hell, when one spends the kind of money that they do for a NBU environment, I think that it should be expected that the backups product, which is what the users/admins interface with, provide the type of functionality that I'm referring to. Other do, and then some. Reporting and alerting a just a few of my gripes with NBU.
You however, are entitled to your opinion no matter how wrong it is.  :p

As you are yours. Bottom line: my company procured another backup application, which provides much more functionality than NBU, for the cost of renewing my NBU licenses for one year. Haven't had to write a single line of code to support it. Haven't had to spend $50K and up for a 3rd. party reporting tool. Haven't had to deal with NBCC, because the data and metadata is stored in a relational database. Should I go on?