Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup SAP backup script

2007-06-01 09:58:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup SAP backup script
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:23:33 -0400
> Are there any naming convention rules on scripts created to
>  backup the archive logs?
>
> I've come across the following problem:
>
> -          When initiating a backup it fails with error 29
> (failed trying to execute a command).
>
> -          The script it calls is named: brarchive_svc.cmd
> (brarchive being a command)
>
> -          When you rename this script to test.cmd it works
> perfectly.
>
> Has anyone come across a similar problem, where the script
> name contains a command?

Monique, is this on a PC?  It _used_ to be (past tense since I just
tested this and it no longer works this way on XP PC, at least) that the
shell in DOS and DOS-based Windows releases didn't pay attention to the
filename extension.  Whether you typed "foo" or "foo.bat," the current
directory, then the PATH, were searched for foo.com, foo.exe and foo.bat
in that order, so typing foo.bat would execute foo.com if foo.com were
present.  Maybe that's all changed now, but I still avoid giving an OS
or shell more than one piece of code with the same basename regardless
of extension.  In your case, maybe there's something else also doing the
command interpreting.  Printing out the environment from your test.cmd
might show who called it.

If this really is your issue, and you're wedded to brarchive* naming,
setting up an explicit search path in the order you want things found
might be useful.