Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Tuning Windows backups

2007-05-22 21:13:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Tuning Windows backups
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "'Hall, Christian N.'" <HallC AT SEC DOT GOV>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 20:01:35 -0500
Hi Chris,

We're fairly lucky in that we typically aren't actively writing to our cache
volumes during the backup operation.  Our normal operation for many of the
big clients is such that we write to the disk until it's full, then it's
mostly write-locked so that the cache volume doesn't need to be too big.
We're using (I think) 30GB cache volumes just in case for most of our
Windows clients.

The 156s I've seen have been caused by a misconfiguration - e.g. not adding
the cache volume to the same cluster volume group as the disk you're trying
to back up or by a disk being totally full.  We haven't yet filled a cache
volume while a backup was actively going (but see my next post).

We're using a Solaris 9 master with Solaris 10 and Windows 2003 media
servers and clients that are a mix of Windows 2003 and Solaris 9.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org