Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.0 Tape rotation

2007-05-21 23:04:34
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 6.0 Tape rotation
From: Wayne T Smith <wts AT maine DOT edu>
To: List Veritas List <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 22:43:52 -0400
If your tapes start out in the off site group/pool, they will
return/stay there once they expire.

For example, my "vault tapes" start and stay in a volume pool named
"dup".  When Vault writes to a tape, the Vault job ejects the tape and
moves it from a "volume group" I'll call "home" to a volume group I'll
call "away".  I do use a Scratch pool for normal backups, but, like you,
not for my off site tapes.

Hope this helps, wayne

stoneb10 wrote, in part:
> I am new to using netbackup and have recently been tasked with completing the
> setup of a new windows based environment.  I have however been having issues
> with with the rotation of tapes in that.  The backup have been configured to
> create two copies off all backups, one copy is sent to the onsite pool, the
> other to offsite. Tapes are then ejected using a vault policy.  The tapes
> offsite are on a two weekly cycle (monday1, monday2 etc) and are configured
> with a two week retention period.  The issue I am having is that, when the
> tapes come back from offsite storage and be re-inventoried back into the
> library to be re-used, at the point where they reach expiration date\time,
> the tapes are moved back into the scratchpool.  I do not want this to happen
> as it makes management of the media very difficult with the 3rd party tape
> storage comany. What I really need is for the tapes to be moved back into the
> offsite pool so that the same tapes are used as the tapes that were used at !
 th!