Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vaulting Question

2007-05-17 13:47:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vaulting Question
From: pkeating at bank-banque-canada.ca (Paul Keating)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 13:47:43 -0400
In the duplication tab within the vault profile, configure retention to
be "use mappings"
It's the last item in the list.

create a file called:
/usr/openv/netbackup/db/vault/retention_mappings

and in the file, you create entries with two columns of numbers
The column on the left is the original backups retention level, and the
column on the right is the "duplicated image's" retention level.

so f'rinstance, since retention level 0 is a week, 1 is 2 weeks, 2 is 3
weeks and 3 is a month.

if you want the original 1 week backup to be duped and kept for 1 month,
the first line of tyou mapping file would be:
0    3

if you want your original backup with 2 weeks retention duped and kept
for a year, your next line would be:
1    8

and so on.

if you want all your original backup kept for 1 week, and all the dupes
to be different, you would use the "unassigned" retention levels in NBU
to create many "1 week" retention levels.

ie, retention 10, 11, 12, and 13 are all set to be one week, then you
map level 10 to 1 year, level 11 to 2 years, etc.
The each of your backup profiles would spec the retention level to be
the numeric retention level that maps to the appropriate "final"
retention.

check the Vault admin guide, page 121