Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 5.1 Oct 2007 End of Support

2007-05-17 09:31:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 5.1 Oct 2007 End of Support
From: jlightner at water.com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 09:31:53 -0400
My point was to challenge the blatant statement.  We can all opine and many had
long before his post was made.   I just saw no reason why we should accept that
statement as the "fact" without some sort of support - hence my ironic question
about divination.

You say they're only giving you 5 months but I don't know where you got that.
6.0 has been out much longer than that.

Personally I don't claim to "know" when 5.1 will be EOLed.  I know what
Datalink told us but they could be as wrong as everyone else.   It just seems
pointless to me not to move forward once 6.0 is mostly stable which by all
accounts it is with MP4.  Sticking one's head in the sand isn't going to make
6.x go away and as I previously wrote waiting for "new features and fixes" in
6.5 is waiting for vaporware which I've never thought was a good idea for many
reasons including the possibility they won't materialize.

If your environment is totally static and your 5.1 (or even 3.4) is working for
you and you can handle everything that comes up without calling the vendor
don't move ahead.  If, however, you work in shops that do actually add new
systems and technology from time to time it makes sense to plan for moving
ahead or at least be sure you know exactly what it is that prevents moving
ahead.   Here we know we're going to do Data Domain soon and we'd rather have
6.0 in our environment before that so we can know what changes were introduced
by 6.0 and which were later introduced by Data Domain.

There was a time I had the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mindset.  What I've
learned however is that you often find yourself painted into corners when you
didn't take newer patches or distributions and suddenly have a pressing
business need to get more recent technology going.   You end up having to
upgrade EVERYTHING rather than just adding the technology you want.  It is bad
enough when the business imposes restrictions that keep you from moving ahead
but even worse when professional administrators become the roadblocks
themselves.