Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LotusNotes backup strategy

2007-05-15 14:22:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LotusNotes backup strategy
From: juanino at yahoo.com (Jerry)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 11:22:58 -0700 (PDT)
I have a 1.3TB notes backup and it's a killer.
We found the Notes API backup slow and switched to doing only full backups once
a week and using Microsoft VSS to handle snapshots.  This seemed to be 3 times
faster for us on fulls so it was worth skipping transaction logs.  Backing up
the database with VSS seems to make a consistent copy of the database and it
appears to work (tested multiple restores).

We did end up moving the shadow copy storage space to a seperate raid-1 disk
set because we were having trouble with the OS handling the snapshot due to
high disk i/o during backups,