Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] scratch pool compliance

2007-05-15 07:41:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] scratch pool compliance
From: ewilts at ewilts.org (Ed Wilts)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 06:41:03 -0500
> I would like to ensure that tapes within my scratch
> pool are re-used within a certain number of weeks or
> the data completely wiped off of them.  Is there
> anyway veritas can do a wipe of the tape before
> releasing it back into the scratch pool?
>
> If not is there any way one can think of scripting
> such a thing?  I suppose I would have to keep tabs on
> what is in my scratch pool and make sure it got erased
> somehow.  There is some worry about having expired
> images on tape that someone could simply read back in
> if desired.

What threat do you foresee?  If you're worried about your tape going offsite
and being read, then the best bet is to encrypt the tape.  If you're worried
about somebody at your location mounting the tape and doing an import, then
your security people have more important things to worry about since you can
read live data, not expired data.  If you're worried about being audited and
forced to import the tape, then I suppose you could have to do something.

> I want stuff that is expired to be unrecoverable. (reasonably).

If you encrypt the tape, it will be unrecoverable except by you.  Otherwise,
it's not that hard to generate a list of your scratch tapes and when they
expired (or the last time they were mounted).  With the list of tapes, you
can re-init the tape - that will make it next to impossible for *you* to
import the data, but relatively easy for somebody like Ontrack to recover
from.  Again, you have to have a good look at what you're trying to protect
from.  If you don't want somebody like Ontrack to read the tape either, then
you'll have to rewrite the tape with some random garbage.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org