Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL

2007-05-14 01:58:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Newbie to Netbackup using VTL
From: cpreston at glasshouse.com (Curtis Preston)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 01:58:06 -0400
1. Does a Virtual Tape Library have robot arm in the master server GUI?

Yes.

2. In general, media Server do not share a tape media with other media
server, hence in the VTL contain images from different client using
differernt media servers. Can all these images from different media
server able to write to the LTO3 tape? (I'm still not excatly sure how
to do backup from VTL to the actual tape library)

You either use Vault/bpduplicate or you buy a library that has it's own
ability to copy from virtual tape to physical tape outside of NBU.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

3. Can i set a policy retention of 1 week and written to VTL and set
another retention period of 3 weeks for the images when write to the
actual tape library from the VTL?

You can if you use Vault.

4. Can we expire/delete images from the VTL after backing up into the
LTO3 tape to free up more space in VTL? If yes, does it means that the
catalog will have 2 entries of the same image in different storage
location?

Of course.  Yes.

5. Can client choose to restore either from VTL or Tape Media
themselves?

NBU always restores from the primary copy.  It will restore from that,
wherever that happens to be.

6. How can we monitor backup from VTL to actual tape drive, someone
suggest BPDUPLICATE? some say using NSRclone. Can activity monitor able
to trace the backup success?

NSRclone is a networker thing, not NetBackup.  Bpduplicate is a command
line tool.  Vault automates (significantly) the use of bpduplicate.

7. In the VTL, can we set how much data can a Virual tape media hold? If
there a barcode for Virtual media as well? If yes, does this media id be
same as the physical LTO3?

Yes.  Yes.  You only need to match the barcodes if you use the VTLs with
the tape-out feature, such as Quantum/ADIC PVX, NetApp VTL, & anything
based on Falconstor (EMC/IBM/SUN/Copan).

Veritas-bu maillist  -  Veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu