Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Problem deassigning meda

2007-05-04 14:40:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Problem deassigning meda
From: Greg.Hindle at constellation.com (Hindle, Greg)
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 14:40:38 -0400
Here is the procedure we use...

  ** Warning this procedure will delete and destroy all images on the
tape. Do this only if the need is there. It is recommended that you
allow netbackup to naturally scratch the tape first before removing it
from netbackup. This procedure assumes that you want to delete the tape
even if it has valid, real images.

1)      Remove the tape from the tape robot. We don't want a job writing
to the tape when we are trying to remove it.

2)      Create a putty session with the media sever who owns the tape
(or the one you think owns the tape). Create a putty session on the
master server. You will need to run commands on both servers.

3)      We need to verify what media server owns the tape and check to
see if the tape has valid images. Go to your media server putty session
and run this command, "sudo /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimmedia
-L -mediaid <tapenumber>. This will tell you what media server (among
other things) that the tape belongs to. If you are not on the correct
media server then logout of this media server and login to the correct
media server. You will get a display like this one:

sudo bpimmedia -mediaid ms7157 -L

Backup-ID            Policy     Type  RL  Files   C  E  T  PC  Expires
Copy Frag    KB Type Density FNum      Off       Host       DWO MPX
Expires                                                        RL
MediaID
--------                                              ----------------

nas-msw-06.ceg.corp. nasmsw6-ms FULL  5   1436253 N  N  R  1   01:12
10/23/2006
 1 IDX   185162 RMed hcart3  2         0         nbumd-msw- 25
MS7151
 1   1 320316570 RMed hcart3  7         0         nbumd-msw- 25  N
01:12 10/23                                              /2006 5  MS7306
 1   2 1056822984 RMed hcart3  1         0         nbumd-msw- 25
MS7157
 1   3 457687818 RMed hcart3  1         0         nbumd-msw- 25
MS7151

** Note the nbumd-msw name. This is the media server that owns the
tapes.

If the tape is scratch and has no valid images you will get a message
that says "no entity was found"

4)      On the media server, make sure the tape is not frozen. Frozen
tapes cannot be removed from netbackup. Run the command "sudo
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia -unfreeze -m <tapenumber>"

5)      On the media server, make sure the tape is not suspended.
Suspended tapes cannot be removed from netbackup. Run the command "sudo
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpmedia -unsuspend -m <tapenumber>"

6)      On the master run the command, "sudo vmquery -m <tapenumber>.
You need to record the pool and status info. The pool info is the 5th
line down from the top. The status info is the last line and should
always be 0x0, unless the tape is scratch then the status line is not
there. If the tape is scratch then use the Netbackup GUI to delete
(right clicking the tape and select delete) the tape out of netbackup.
If you try this and it says that the tape is assigned then follow the
rest of this procedure.

7)      On the media server, run the command, "sudo
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpexpdate -m <tapenumber> -d 0
-force". This will force the media server to expire the tape in the
media database. If you get a message saying it was not found, that is
ok. Proceed to the next step.

8)      Using the pool and status info you wrote down earlier, on the
master server, run the command, "sudo /usr/openv/volmgr/bin/vmquery
tape and remove the volume images.

9)      On the master server, run the command, "sudo
/usr/openv/volgmgr/bin/vmdelete -m <tapenumber>. This step will finally
remove all references to the tape in netbackup. The tape will be
deleted.  After this command runs, it will return the command prompt
back. The tape has been deleted. You can confirm this looking at the
netbackup GUI. The tape should not be listed in the media section.

Greg