Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog size, bpdbm, nbcc ( UNIX ) [NC]

2007-05-03 10:53:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog size, bpdbm, nbcc ( UNIX ) [NC]
From: misha.pavlov at sgcib.com (misha.pavlov AT sgcib DOT com)
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 10:53:19 -0400
UNIX admins:

I wonder how common it is to have a catalog of sizes at or above 600GB and
if someone can share practical tips, tricks and just general experience
they use to deal with tasks like:

a) performing catalog backups
b) performing  a consistency check
c) dealing with catalogs corruptions

The issue I have to deal with right now is increased ammount of unfamous
"unable to process request(228)", which from my experience are catalogs
corruptions, caused by hardware hickups, server panics, etc.
To address the corruption by identifying orphan entries, one should run
when no backups are active
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpdbm -consistency
The issue is that with 500GB catalog size it takes almost 40 hours for the
command to complete and I do not have that 40 hours window ... the longest
window I have is 6 - 12 hours.

I'll deal with this specific problem as I did before, but in any case just
wanted to hear the community thoughts on catalogs sizes, NBCC, error 228
and all that non-sense we have to deal with.

"POUSSARD, Gilles \(INFOTEL\)" <gilles.poussard at airbus.com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces at mailman.eng.auburn.edu
05/03/2007 09:44 AM

"Mike Heck" <mike_heck at symantec.com>, <veritas-bu at mailman.eng.auburn.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP and SSO in NetBackup 6.0 [NC]

Hi Mike,

Effectively, there is nowhere this information on Symantec site. If this
is a prerequisite, Symantec would have to give this information on a
document.

For me until now , this is not a prerequisite but I'm not sure, and I
don't know if my Netapp's contact know about this. I will ask them and let
you know.

If somebody knows, welcome...

Gilles.