Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question: Backup what the symlink points to?

2007-05-02 11:04:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question: Backup what the symlink points to?
From: jlightner at water.com (Jeff Lightner)
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 11:04:20 -0400
GNU tar, find and cpio all have ways to "follow" symbolic links to get
the real files to which they point.  However I don't know of a way to
tell a NBU policy to use that option for the modified GNU tar it uses
for backups.  (You could do it at command line but then it would not be
a "netbackup" backup - just a tar.)

The help for 5.1 MP4 says of symbolic links that it backs up the link
only and not the file to which it points.  It goes on to say to restore
the file to which the symbolic link restores you must actually restore
that file as well.